Thursday, April 29, 2010

Daphne goes HOME...

I never knew there were so difficult parts about being a breeder. I mean every job has its challenging aspect- but who would have thought

I always knew that when Daphne had her last litter I would make it my intention to find her wonderful home where she could be the only dog and be spoiled beyond belief. Those of you who got the chance to meet her personally know that she is is needy of attention and considering I have 6 dogs- and 1 child my time is very divided. I always knew it would have to be the most ideal situation for her as she is unique in personality and has a mind of her own sometimes.

I had mentioned to Margaret about Daphne and after seeing her pictures she was anxious to meet her. She came in the beginning of the week with her daughter and it was UNBELIEVABLE how I knew the moment I met them it would be the best situation for Daphne. First she only lives 19 minutes from us which is key in case Rose misses Daphne

The situation for Daphne was idea and Margaret and her family had missed their dog Katie since she passed and was anxiously ready to open their heart again to another dog. They seemed to have alot of love to give.

Yesterday I was very sad while I groomed her and got her ready to leave. Once I started talking to her and thanking her for all she has done for me- telling her if it was not for her I would have never become a breeder and thanking her her making it so easy for me and thanking her for always being a wonderful mother - and thanked her for making the cutest puppies on the face of the earth----my heart became so sad.

On the ride to Margaret's house I turned on the radio- and the song "Because you Loved me" was on as I listened I felt Daphne was speaking to me...
You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me ..

of course I began to cry and wonder if I was making the right decision.

But as soon as I got there and immediately noticed that Margaret's house was a "HOME". It was just the right size for Daphne and had a cute little backyard for her romps. I met Margaret's hubby and Daphne seemed to feel comfortable with him. He thought she was the cutest thing. We let her loose in the house and she made her rounds sniffing and being curious. Margaret's son came home and after a few biscuits of course Daphne was his best friend too - Veronica, her daughter had already gotten a few kisses from her. I could feel that this was the right place. The living room was comfy with a nice big cushy ottoman. I was waiting for the sign from Daphne that is was OK- and I could leave. After about an hour she jumped on the ottoman and made herself comfy on it. Rolled on her back and was waiting for some belly rubs. That was it- it was my sign. I was sooo relieved that she felt it ...she found her home- a place where she could get unlimited belly rubs and not have to share her toys- eat her cookies in peace- and of course continue to be queen.

Daphne retired from Moondrop Gardens (leaving her crown to Lala) -she has moved on her her happy new home but will go down in our history as the first matriarch of our breeding program. We can only hope our future will continue to be filled with the same blessings that Daphne has given us "healthy, happy, adorable cocker spaniels...."

Thank you Margaret and family for welcoming Daphne in your home and giving her the chance to be spoiled for the rest of her life.

No comments: