Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It Only Takes a Moment....

Sometimes even when we try our hardest to prevent nature to take it's course-it defies us. We have little control and somehow I believe that somewhere above someone is laughing at me- because they know how irritated I can get when I don't have control. Mind you I a not a control freak...(hmmm, OK maybe I am a little) Despite my efforts of trying to contain Dempsey during Daphne's heat, he escaped and for the 1 second that they were together- decided that even though I had planned different arrangements- they were to evolve the world yet again. It was my intention to breed Daphne again in summer 09 when she had a rest and summer would be best. Of course it was not the worst think in the world to happen- but just not my plan. And I do not like to call things "accidents" because honestly- God has his own plan when it comes to life and everything happens for a reason. And even though I can put the blame on another- in the end my dogs are my responsibility. Why am I actually telling you this? Because I really care for my dogs and want the best for them and would hope that you would continue to know that.

I am in fact better prepared for the next heat cycles that we want to skip. We now have a 10 x 10 enclosure that can very comfortably separate whomever needs to be separated. It is in the basement that is radiant heated and is decorated with pictures and a rug, a radio, toys, bones and all the amenities of their home away from home. Much better than a training crate in my opinion. And much more reliable than past attempts.


After Daphne's belly began to get bigger- I accepted the fact the puppies would be arriving in earlt February and the good thing would be that they could go hope early spring. I contacted the waiting list and many were still interested. It made me feel even better knowing that there were loving families waiting in the wings. Then I prayed that her litter would be small. I know from other's experience that a skipped heat breeding usually leads to a small litter of 2 or 3 or even sometimes 1. That would have been fine with me- just for Daphne. But as her belly got bigger and bigger I started having my doubts that she was carrying just 1. The day came for the X-Ray and I was reassured by Dr. Spaccarelli that Daphne was a healthy dog and she had no complications last time and she would be fine. Then he proceeded to tell me that Daphne had 11 puppies insider her. My heart sank to the floor and I could feel myself getting woozy. Then he said...GOTCHA! Can you imagine my face. Then he said, "there are actually 8". Well 8 was better than 9- but still many more than I was anticipating. It was time to get ready...

Ironically during that week I got several e-mails from people interested in a puppy. It was so weird how I never mentioned to anyone about the puppies- but now I had 11 people on the waiting list. What were the chanced that everyone would find one to call their own?

We could only wait and see.

No comments: